Mayo Clinic Reviews

Show reviews that mention
mayo doctor doctors care pain clinic patient people treatment money
Filter review

Verified Reviewer

Possibly

Mayo Clinic - Possibly
Mayo Clinic - Possibly
Made an appointment to see a doctor for my back. Mayo called later asking if they could change my appointment time from 8:15am to 7:45am on the day of my appointment which was a Monday. Ill had no issues with this. On the day of my appointment the weather was nasty including the roads. I had a 30 minute travel with good weather. I headed out to my appointment. I arrived at the Mayo building and proceeded to the parking ramp. While looking for a parking stall my phone rings. Its Mayo telling me the need to reschedule my appointment for 12:30 today. The current time being 7:34am and my appointment was for 7:45am mind you. I told the person on the phone I was in the parking ramp. They stated I was welcome to come in and wait to see if they could possibly fit me in somewhere else. I told them that will not work and Ill need to reschedule. This would have been my second appointment with Mayo and the first took over 3 hours for a simple office visit. Needless to say its back to Olmsted Clinic for me.
Mayo Clinic Customer Care
Cons
  • Terrible customer service
  • Appointments take a long time
Preferred solution
Acquire more staff to meet the demands of the customers

Not recommending the one in Jacksonville

Doctor did not read records sent to him 3 months prior to appointment, and he had wrong info on my diagnosis. Very unprofessional. Visit was very short. A waste of effort and time.
Jacksonville East, Florida
Mayo Clinic Medical Care
Pros
  • When mayo actually practices medicine
  • It is non profit
Cons
  • Bad attitudes
  • But they need to be responsible and ethical
  • Stupid non essential drug screens for pot
The doctor was unprofessional
I wont go there again

Mayo Clinic denied care

Called to make an appt only to be denied the opportunity to make an appt. I am 67 on Medicare and have the best supplemental insurance I can obtain.

Thank God above you were denied by greedy, unethical, discriminating Mayo Clinic. You are better off.

You can obtain good healthcare elsewhere. Mayo is overrated and makes as many, if not more mistakes, than the next facility. The difference is they're better at hiding it and getting away with it. It is their policy to deny care to lesser insured, medicaid, medicare patients.

Former CEO got caught saying this verbatim in video in a speech to employees in Minnesota. It's on the internet and in articles. Note, according to the Patients' Bill of Rights its a violation to deny a patient care due to their source of payment. But, Mayo has a history of this and the governing powers that be, like within in the state healthcare administration, the state attorney general on up to the US Joint Commission, they all look the other way.

Mayo gets away with A LOT!

Denial of care in instances like yours is a Mayo thing along with abandoning patients in the middle of care. Again, you're better off elsewhere.

Guess you will need to make an appointment at a clinic that accepts your insurance.

@PissedConsumer1786830

My, your reply reeks of a Mayo troll employed by the king of denial and discrimination of health care. Congratulations.

What is your deal? Do you just sit in this forum and troll the reviews?

Are you a puppet for Negligence Clinic? Pathetic.

View more comments (2)
Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Overcharged..

College daughter went for a simple strep test.. $600 bill... Would not recommend sending your college kid there.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Pricing issue
Price reduction

Bad attitudes and worse customer service

I have a cyst on my back that has gotten infected. I made an appointment in early August to have it removed by Dr T Bergseth. Within 30 minutes of the appointment, while I was driving to Rice Lake from Spooner, a nurse called to say that the Dr could not make the appointment. I was mad but I rescheduled for 8/22, the next time the Dr was in Rice Lake. I drove again to Rice Lake and within 40 minutes of the appointment a nurse called again to say the Dr was unavailable. I asked to speak with an administrator. I was handed off to a nurse named Brianna who was not an administrator. Immediately she tried to talk over me and tell me that sometimes Dr's are called to emergencies. The conversation started to get heated as I realized nothing was going to me done about my issue. She exhibited a bad attitude throughout. I am still looking for someone who can actually make an informed decision about what to do for wasting so much of my time. I have made repeated requests for an administrator to contact me.
Mayo Clinic Customer Care
Cons
  • Bad attitudes
  • Bad customer service

Didn’t consult oncology/surg unnecessary

Secondary Hyperparathyroidism due to Imatinib Leukemia treatment. 2010 studies document this. I didn’t find this study in time. Did they even look? Mayo didn’t consult with my oncologist -an achnowleged expert in the CML field prior to my surg. Mayo is a Tylenol hospital, I was told, even though it makes me throw up I was given it. Surgeon totally condescending. Mayo is good at getting out of town patients seen in one day, by subpar doctors. The support staff are excellent in their treatment of the patient. I regret ignoring the stop signs and trusting their reputation.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Mayo's marketing brings in unwitting patients and preys on sick people who are desperate for help.

Patients see the glossy ads, the new tug-at-your-heartstrings-commercials, the paid-for PBS documentary and the shiny, fine buildings and they are taken in. But, in reality, is what patients are really getting, is a dollar store gift wrapped in fancy packaging that cost more than the gift inside. Once you're there, and you open it, and use it then it doesn't work and falls apart, you realize you've been ripped off and you could have gotten the same thing at the local hospital down the road, or maybe better care, actually somewhere else which does exist. On another note, Gleevec (imatinib) is a tough chemo drug.

There is a misconception that the newer chemo drugs which are administered orally and not infused are not as harsh and without secondary consequences. It is a chemo drug all the same. There are serious side effects. I hope you're going to be ok.

Lastly, where is the rating on this review? It is not visible. Is it one star or two or five stars?

Are reviewers now able to comment/review without leaving a rating at all? Or is this a way to avoid another poor rating to protect Mayo Clinic?

Greenville, Texas

Bad dermatology department.

Went to Mayo Dermatology in MN for a few things. One was to remove a cyst on my upper thigh. It itches and is very bothersome. It's hard as a rock. It had been removed twice, but grew back. I thought they had good doctors that could get the whole thing out. The doctor refused. I asked if it could turn cancerous. She yelled. Said that cysts and moles don't turn cancerous. They either are or they aren't. I asked again to please remove the cyst. She refused and said I should see a psychiatrist. I don't think she knew how to completely remove a cyst. I should have been referred to a Doctor how could remove it. Flew a long way to get this kind of bad treatment. So if you ask questions, you should see a psych?? She put this in my medical report. Trying to get this taken out of the report. Yale New Haven Medical has an excellent Dermatology Depart. If I hadn't had to go to Mayo for other things, I would never have gone to their Dermatology Depart. If I had cancer I would go to MD Anderson.
Greenville, South Carolina
Mayo Clinic Doctor
Bad quality

Mayo's excuses and reluctance to safely manage chronic pain

Yes, I have made a few mistakes and I am willing to pay the price but Mayo still gets away with EVERYTHING. I suffer from an auto-immune connective tissue disorder which is extremely painful. I have done EVERYTHING Mayo has asked including immuno-suppressant therapy with drugs like Humira, Methotrexate and other dangerous and potent DMD's (disease modifying drugs). No one thought ahead on this one and even presented the idea that DMD's for non-terminal diabetics would be very unsafe as I am not dying of cancer, I have a *** disease that requires pain management. Until SCIENCE/MEDICINE comes up with a better, more effective treatment then I expect my pain to be appropriately managed. This is why nursing homes were so out of control. Do ANY of these people actually possess any common sense? Who is drug testing staff in these places as well as Physicians who have endless access to these medications/drugs? Testing patients who suffer endlessly for things such as Marijuana is foolish and a complete waste of time and money. The next time an American wonders "where the *** is all the money going"? Think about wasting money senselessly drug testing chronic pain patients. This is only a convenient excuse for denying pain patients who have tried EACH AND EVERY OTHER THERAPY with near death results and excuse to deny them pain medication. When I asked my Doctor "why am I getting tested"? He replied "it is our rules". This again is selective and intrusive as not EVERYONE gets drug tested when the go into the hospital or elsewhere for treatment so this POLICY violates many things- Freedom of choice, privacy and numerous, countless other things so for Mayo to use this as an excuse is a complete violation of EVERYTHING it means to be a free and democratic society. Until Mayo realizes this they will continue to waste TAXPAYER and INSURANCE providers dollars on foolish testing. When Doctors, Nurses, Physicians Assistants as well as everyone else with access to prescription drugs as well as numerous, endless other substances decide on a fair and equitable policy I will refuse to allow this senseless behavior. I really DO NOT DO DRUGS. I try to refrain from alcohol as it has some serious, x even deadly interactions with pain medicine. But, I will not allow Mayo to do anything other than test me for the medications I am supposed to be taking. This is reasonable, well thought out and not simply "REACTIONARY" as Mayo is so GOOD at being. See something wrong, find the easiest and least factual reason to blame this "thing" on. Look at the so called "OXY" epidemic- Most of the medication is coming from Nursing Homes, as well as patients going to the Emergency Room where they CANNOT be denied medication- regardless. NO one denies someone with a broken arm pain medication, even if they broke that arm due to there own negligence or lack of control. Someone like me who has selflessly tried EVERY POSSIBLE OPTION, just wants to live the life that they have left- without needless and intrusive drug testing. Prisons are LOADED with drugs and we are wasting time and money foolishly testing pain patients for pot. Test me for anything else- yet still it is a waste of money. The only thing I even possibly be tested for is my medication- and even then I have never sold or diverted my pain medication to the street. Someday. doctors and especially Mayo Clinic will get a sudden TASTE OF REALITY. This usually happens when someone they love or care about gets caught up in there own foolish policies- that is when these idiots start to actually think about whether these policies are based on COMMON SENSE or simply PREJUDICE AND BIAS. Get a firm hold on REALITY Mayo because ROCHESTER AND AMERICA BY FAR HAVE MUCH BIGGER AND MORE COMPLICATED AND DANGEROUS ISSUES TO SPEND TAXPAYERS MONEY ON- Thomas Grinnell
#1720225

Went to Mayo in MN to have altar sound of both my breasts. They would only do the left breast!!

Told them I flew a long distance. To please do both breast. I would even pay for the right beast altar sound. They refused.

Some departments are good at Mayo. Some are very bad.

I will go to M D Anderson in Houston from now on. Also for dermatology, I would go to Yale New Haven Med.

Rochester City, Minnesota
Pros
  • Psychology versus family medicine
  • There is always judgement at mayo
  • I like good nurses
Cons
  • Unethical drug testing
  • Mayo refusal to be responsible for anything
  • Nurses who unethically hassle patients
Reason of review
Good nurses and others who care without descriminating

Mayo will do ANYTHING to avoid managing long term chronic pain with narcotics

I have had Ankylosing Spondylitis or A.S. for about 30 years. When first diagnosed I was denied pain medication but numerous NSAIDS were thrown at me like candy. This is very inappropriate especially in younger patients. I often wonder how many of my current problems could have been avoided if I were not pushed to take all these NSAIDS. I was living in Northern California where I was approached by a local newspaper about Doctors complete reluctance to safely and effectively treat chronic pain via narcotics. NSAIDS can cause bleeding ulcers, liver and kidney problems and much much more. Pain medication cannot in mosy pain patients cause addiction. IN most pain patients the brain is not using the pain meds in the pleasure center, they are going straight to pain receptors thereby passing the pleasure receptors. I was fired from a job I loved, forced to move 90 miles south to Sacramento where I became a patient of Dr. Harvey Rose who was also in the article. Dr. Rose saved my life and allowed me to effectively work for about 8 more years until I needed my hip replaced at age 30. I would only move back to my home state of Minnesota if someone would mangage my pain like Dr. Rose did. My Mom contacted a Physician near them and he agreed to pick up the 4 medications I was on- OxyContin, OxyCodone, Restoril and insulin as I was on a insulin pump. My new doctor agreed and I moved home. I started coming to Mayo Clinic for new treatments and therapies such as Humira, Methotrexate and numerous other DMD's (disease modifying drugs). The result of these therapies? More physically and mentally costly hospitalizations for me as well as costly to the taxpayer. Does Mayo Clinic think about this? Absolutely NOT. These doctors are more concerned about their DEA record than the patients quality of life- somewhat rightly so, but if doctors refuse to treat chronic pain safely and effectively, then where does that leave the patient and what kind of physician is that doctor? Most doctors REFUSE to take the Hypocratic Oath today anyway citing it is too ambiguous. Really? More like it means that they will have to do their jobs. I have recently seen A TON OF PRESCRIPTION Medications on the street. They NEVER CAME FROM ME. I suffered a brain injury about 7 years ago and was taken to St. Mary's. People think I cannot remember any of that but I do. I had a medic alert bracelet on stating my condition and that I was on OxyContin for pain. I remember nurses and doctors making crude comments about the MINOR withdrawl I was going thru. Patients with legitimate chronic pain really have little difficulty coming off long term narcotic pain medicine as there body is using it as it needs it. Your pleasure center in your brain is not being activated. Mayo foolishly tests for Marijuana so they can deny patients that need pain medicine for QUALITY OF LIFE a Mayo "substantiated" reason to deny that patient medications. This is foolish and also descriminatory as ER patients who come in after killing people in accidents while on drugs or alcohol are never denied pain medicine. Why? Because Doctors say "they did not have a choice" or some other BS. I never had a choice and I certainly did not ask for this disease as well as I have tried every other available treatment or therapy Mayo offers and nearly died. Mayo NEVER takes ANY CREDIT for this. They screwed up. DMD's and IMMUNO-SUPPRESSANTS should not be offered to patients without cancer whose pain can otherwise be controlled. Using drug tests to deny patients needed medication is actually quite ruthless and irresponsible but Mayo continues these actions even today. What Mayo needs is a HUGE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT to knock these doctors off their HIGH HORSES. I will start to submit to a drug test when every doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner and physicians assistant does- and that includes EVERYONE else who has ANY CONTACT with a patient. We will see how Mayo deals with this- from experience I know of MANY doctors who are BIG INTO DRUGS. But because they are DOCTORS somehow they feel they have a HANDLE on it- more nonsense. Mayo Doctors get off your high horses and come and live with the rest of us in reality. I am not going to stop until this nonsense ends.

I will AGAIN review Mayo Clinic for their non-sensicle and completely un-necessary and highly discriminatory "policy" of drug testing chronic pain patients for illegal drugs. This time I will make it really quite crystal cleat- Mayo Clinic is NOT law enforcement, nor are the any type or kind of legal agency tasked with, or LEGALLY entitled to enforce ANY kind of law- illegal pot or not.

I have easily lost over at least a decade of my life, QUALITY of life, due to Mayo's irrational, irresponsible and outrageous use of immuno-suppressant therapies in a non-cancerous, diabetic patient, simply to avoid having to manage SEVERE chronic pain in diabetic pain patients, who have at the outrageous PUSHING of Mayo doctors, been forced to try therapies such as Remicaide, Humira as well as Methotrexate, two of which damn near resulted in my death, where former Merit Care in Fargo had to clean up after Mayo's complete mess of me. The suffering I endured, the immense and outrageous costs to the American taxpayer is simply pathetic.. then, Mayo doctors continue to insist that they somehow possess the legal right to drug test me for ANY substance other then medications prescribed, or that I potentially present with symptoms for in the ER or otherwise, NOW, with this Corona virus outbreak, I wonder how much money Mayo has wasted doing these outrageous drug screens on me, could have been saved and diverterted to dealing with this new, severe threat to local and American society. Mayo is completely out of line on this one, they are way outstretching and outreaching thier legal authority, and when doing so, they are been so damn biased and discriminatory it is outrageous.

As soon as Mayo can show me exactly WHERE in not only the Constitution, but also local as well as State law, it gives Mayo Clinic the right as well as the authority to enforce law by insituting ANY type of legal penalty for marijuna use, I will be more then happy to submit a speciman for examination, until then, if even one doctor, orders such a test, I will not only refuse, but I will have to insist that not only each and every other patient on pain medication, regardless of for what reason, also has to maintain this completely ridiculously biased "standard" then I refuse to submit. When everyone is treated EXACTLY the same, as American, democratic society insures and demands, I will simply refuse to give any body fluids for examination or testing for illegal drugs. When Mayo Clinic can insure me that each and every other patient, regardless of reason, cause or need for Opiate pain medication, I simply refuse. Everyone else should do the exact same thing as Mayo is making a complete mockery of freedom and a free society- and the worst thing?

Not one damn person at Mayo cares. With one doctor and only three medications as well as an insulin pump, my pain was well managed, my sleep and, my blood sugar, After being used recklessly numerous times BY MAYO to try these outrageously dangerous therapies, damn near dying twice, suffering at least TWO, major, sytemic infections, resulting in even more outrageous physical and emotional costs to me as well as HUGE financial costs to American taxpayers, I have simply had enough of Mayo Clinic. IF I HAD THE OPTION OF GOING ELSEWHERE, I would. During my recovery from encephalitis, I have been treated like some kind of piece of crap by not only Mayo, but two other MAJOR providers here in ROCHESTER.

My privacy has been totally voided, I have had my computer illegally monitored, and resultant private, confidential medical information simply given out by professional staff, nurses, nurse practitioners and others, who are legally charged with not only protecting me, but also my privacy, I was like a damn joke to these people, and my privacy was like a damn pathetically amusing form of entertainment to them. I have sent numerous emails to the state, who simply refuse to return my calls. When my brain injury first happened, and I woke up, my neice was only 13 and she was the ONLY one who was honest with me and she told me quite honestly that this was Mayo Clinic's intention. SO, as a Army trained soldier, I did what was the most safe for everyone involved.

I told my brother to hide, lock up or sell all of my firearms as I knew we were talking about my quality of life, not some crap issue of Mayo policy. I am in the process of writing a paper, then a book which I fully intend on first, handing out for free so everyone can know just how full of crap Mayo Clinic is. Mayo Clinic's entire attitude is so laced with negelct and incompetence, so full of complete contempt for the entire concept of freedom and privacy, it makes me ashamed to call myself an American.

This is sure as *** not the country and ideals I served to defend, This is Mayo's nonsense idelic want to be attiude of what the want this city to be like and they unfortunetly are decades too late. Thomas Grinnell - Rochester, Minnesota and an unfortunate Mayo patient.

Yes- anything to avoid prescribing pain medication. More ethical violations.

Someday it is going to happen and Mayo will really have to pay out because they just simply refuse to deal with chronic pain. Irresponsible, immoral, unethical and unrealistic.

This should be Mayo's new motto. tg

View more comments (1)
Rochester City, Minnesota
Pros
  • Emergency room care
  • I like good nurses
  • Realistic doctors
Cons
  • Doctors who never lived in the real world
  • Bad nurses
  • Stupid non essential drug screens for pot
fire everyone hire anyone

They're all about bilking you

I've used them four different times for my daughter and each time all I saw from them was them trying to gouge me for more money than trying to resolve her issues. Last time we used them, I was billed $420 for an hour long consultation with a SOCIAL WORKER who basically told her she couldn't help her since her training precluded her from doing so.
ID
#1519365 Review #1519365 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Saint James City, Minnesota

Arizona - Deception from Scottsdale

We set aside 3 months of work to come to Phoenix Mayo clinic. We hoped and prayed we would get some great Doctors help. Apparently we struck out. We were here to access my beloved wife's medical condition. They were the worst Health Care Center in America. My personal advice spending money out of pocket to the clinic - give it to charity. They certainly deserve it before these Bohemian's We were a cash paid client and all they asked was for money upon our 1st day. My wife has been suffering from RA and MS and we wanted to get a clear diagnosis from the GREAT Mayo Clinic- what a joke. We got pushed off from every doctor. However ,Dr Smith was the only one that gave us a actual assessment. Everyone else was a *** show. We talked to patience services (Ana) for 4 weeks, but in the end she was so full of LIP SERVICE. She would never return our calls. Shannon returned our calls around 4:58pm and she had no idea what this case was about. (always the close of business -hoped she would get VM from us) We came out to see a Neurologist. We worked hard on saving our money because we have an HMO and wanted a second opinion. We met with Dr Fasolino, what an *** He wouldn't let me in the consultation with my wife of 90 minutes, Really! His wonderful assistant said that "Dr Fasolino will come out to INVITE you in for the consultation half way in. This never happened and I continued to ask the assistant to go in to my wife's appointment. She doesn't remember a ton of medical info and I was there to be her advocate. For 90 minutes I sat outside the Mayo Clinic entry room. At the end of the Day - The Mayo Clinic is all Lip Service. They want your money and don't care about your health. Ana & Sharon in Patience Services is a waste of time. They just sit there and try to hold your hand. Don's call Ana, because she will never return your calls. Stay true to your community hospitals, going out of network to this Satan medical institution of the Mayo Clinic is wrong. All they want is money. We are a cash paid customer and all they cared about was when when they would receive payment. I recorded all the meetings and with the great Ana at Patience Services and I am in the process of exposing this corrupt business and hope to share some honest perspective with future clients.
Full refund
I was hurt at work in May of 2016. I saw my family doctor,Dr Leher who diagnosed me with a fractured foot and recommended pre-op for the foot and other injuries. He referred me to a surgeon at Fairview, Dr. Kim who, not only did not recommend surgery, but did not read...
Prior Lake, Minnesota
Mayo Clinic Doctor
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Fired after wetting my pants.

After being shifted around dept to dept, being replaced by someone that propped a security door open to smoke, staff smoked on roof, my last night i was sent to a dept that needed a weeks worth of housekeeping detail. Maintenance guy snuck up on me (again) and yelled. I pissed my pants ,clocked out to use my lunch break to run home and change my pants. My boyfriend said no thats *** so i messaged my manager and asked for PTO for the rest of the night. Chirp....chirp.....chirp ..nothing til the next day, didnt even ask who scared me, . Just text, "r u coming in". The lack of compassion made me reach out to HR but by tuesday she had me terminated for 4 no call no shows. Strolled on down to my local Union and she said if he had done this on my 61st day of employment she could represent me but im still on new hire 60 day probation. Funny, i pay union dues from my first day of employment but you cant help me for 60 days. The whole experience was disgraceful, poor management, lazy workers.
Austin, Minnesota
I've been going to Mayo for all my med needs since moving to FL almost 2 years ago. In general, I have NO complaints about the medical care I've gotten. However, the ability to make appointments, talk to someone about issues...... customer and admin services in general...

Whatever you do, don’t complain. I did, and the Mayo tossed me out on my ear.

I moved here because I need the Mayo’s services. I wrote to the CEO, not exactly complaining, but rather suggesting improvement for all of us, got called in my bed while mostly asleep and got roundly chewed out by someone I never met from patient experience. When I realized she was from patient experience, which you should not confuse as a euphemism for complaints, I thought I could tell her I could write to anyone, first amendment rights as an American Citizen, then she started picking at me about one of the issues I brought up and since she was from patient experience, theoretically the complaint office, I said the one doc was a jerk and I said that the hospital had become money grubbing. Within a week, I was fired as a patient from the Mayo.

There is no appeals process. There was no rancor between me and any doctor or nurse.

I’ve lost my healthcare for complaining without being aggressive, to a complaint officer I didn’t contact, who contacted me in my bed at home. Buyer beware.

View more comments
Palm Coast, Florida

Horrible-terrifying

I was seen in genetics. My mother passed away from a genetic disorder, my daughters have the same issue. I exhibit and pass on the scale to have it as well. Arrogant dr. Was extremely rude, degrading and totally unethical. I had heart issues, he refused to check my heart... my friend ran into hall and got a nurse. The nurse was concerned by arythmia and called ambulance. They wanted to take me to St. Mary’s. The dr was yelling from down the hallway that it’s anxiety! I have major heart issues and NEVER diagnosed with anxiety! They “Mayo” was trying to medically kidnap me!!! This is happening in Minnesota! Beware!
Plymouth, Minnesota