183 views
Verified Reviewer

I moved to Minnesota (MN) to go to Mayo for a rare form of blood cancer. Where I'd lived, the doctors didn't know how to help me.

During the shutdown in March 2020, Mayo abandoned me and all their patients even though the MN governor said that the chronically and severely ill were to still get care (the other health systems in MN didn't do like Mayo). When Mayo reopened, I was told they wouldn't give me the care they'd promised and I would die as a result. Mayo has a reputation among the locals (laymen, doctors outside of Mayo, and gov't officials alike) as only caring about profit. Because they shutdown totally and "had to" take care of poor people with Covid-19, they lost a lot of profit for 2020.

My insurance didn't pay well, so they decided to let me die. When I complained, Mayo retaliated by permanently banning me from their clinic. So I complained to the state and was told by the MN Dept. of Health (MDH) that Mayo's actions were "morally wrong," but legal under MN law.

They can abandon patients, neglect patients even if they hurt or kill them, and ban patients permanently. I was told by MDH that Mayo was known for turning away patients and neglecting them; especially if they had gov't insurance like Medicare. When I talked to the Office of the Commissioner of the MN Dept. of Human Services, they told me Mayo is known for arbitrarily banning patients.

No one I've met in the last 11 months in MN likes Mayo and I don't blame them. I moved over 2,000 miles and spent money I didn't have for nothing. Stay away from Mayo unless you want to waste your time and money and risk death from neglect.

They're horrible. Their ethics really are in the toilet (as doctors outside the Mayo health system have told me).

User's recommendation: Stay away from Mayo Clinic!

Comments

#1970545

I am sorry you had this terrible experience. This is a pattern of unethical behavior from Mayo Clinic.

I hope you have been able to find medical care from a compassionate provider. I recommend contacting the following: 1) RareDiseaseFoundation.org as they may be able to refer you or help you find a specialist to help you. Don't give up. Also, please do the following: 2) Call, email and write to your congressional representatives and your senators.

REQUEST YOUR REP/SENATOR to file a congressional inquiry on your behalf to look into the abandonment of your medical care for a life threatening condition. This is a violation of your patients' rights. Go to this site to find your representatives. It's quick and easy.

https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative 3) File a complaint with the US Joint Commission and submit a complaint here: https://www.jointcommission.org/resources/patient-safety-topics/report-a-patient-safety-event/ Tell your story. Be concise. Make sure you have all of your records. Keep a log of your actions and create a journal of your experiences at Mayo Clinic.

I hope this helps. Ask a friend or family member to help you if this is too much for you alone. You are not alone sadly.

You are in my prayers. God bless you.

Mayo Clinic Reviews